Tracking Code: ATH_NAM_N_0158
The Locomotive Shopman inspects, repairs and maintains locomotives consistent with company policies and will primarily work under the direction of the Chief Mechanical Officer.
Duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Inspect, maintain, troubleshoot and repair malfunctions in diesel engines, air brake equipment, electrical equipment, running gear and pertinent locomotive components.
- Conduct daily inspections and locomotive servicing.
- Perform FRA periodic inspections.
- Ensures compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA).
- Ensures that the locomotive maintenance & repair work is completed timely, efficiently and safely.
- Ensures compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations, and the FRA.
- Comprehend the proper care and use of materials, test equipment, machinery and hand tools.
- Have basic working knowledge of Locomotive Mechanical, Electrical, and Air Brake systems.
- Working knowledge of FRA and AAR car repair rules per part 229.
- Work in conditions that include loud noise, work on and around heavy moving machinery, use hand and power tools as intended for the repair task/application.
- Complete all company training, pass safety and rules examinations and efficiency testing.
- Follow safety policies and procedures and wear the required personal protective equipment (PPE) for the job in a safe manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
At Unimin, we strive for and support a diverse workforce as we recognize this lays the foundation of our success. Our compelling culture supports inclusion, individuality, and respect within the workplace. We are committed to providing employment opportunities to the most qualified candidate based on work-related factors and without regard to non-work-related factors including race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status.
- Must be 18 Years of age or older.
- High School Diploma or GED – Preferred
- Trade/Technical School curriculum
- Valid Driver’s License
- Maintenance / Mechanical Shop & repair environment experience (e.g. railroad mechanical, previous locomotive repair & maintenance experience preferred)
- Strong Mechanical & problem-solving attributes
- Self-starting team player who can work from verbal instructions, sketches, blueprints & wiring diagrams
- Heavy work – may require lifting over 70 lbs
- Outside work in all types of weather conditions
- Safety must be a top priority.
- Reliable, good attendance record.
- Action-oriented problem solver with high attention to detail.
- Manage time effectively.
- Work overtime as needed including weekends and holidays.
- Anticipate extended out of state travel time.
Bridgeton, New Jersey, United States